Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Adie Exploring Pittsburgh

I returned home over a month ago and I've had plenty to keep me busy since then. Unfortunately, I haven't had a functioning camera. So I've done my best with cell phone pictures and one from the archives...

Welcome to PNC Park, home of my Pittsburgh Pirates! As many of you know, I am a huge baseball fan. I've already been to two games since I've been back. This picture is from 2006, during the Home Run Derby. Not my best camera work but I think it gives an idea of what a beautiful park we have here, plus a view of some of the downtown skyline.

I arrived back home during my favorite time of year - those few weeks of spring when all of the trees are in bloom. The streets are lined with white and pink blossoms - Bradford pear, dogwood, magnolia. And this unique sculptural installation in the Cultural District downtown takes full advantage of the season.

Look closely... The magnolia trees in the foreground are living, and so only in bloom for a short time. The tree in the background and several others nearby are sculptures created by human hands and so they flower in all seasons. They are nearly impossible to tell apart from the living trees, even at close range. For a few weeks every year the living trees and the sculptural trees coincide. It's easy to pass by without realizing the illusion, even in the middle of winter when all of the other trees are bare. Amazing work of art, I love it.
Around Easter-time I took a walk near my house and encountered the bizarre holiday display that you see here: dozens of plastic bunnies strategically positioned throughout someone's yard. They looked like real bunnies at first glance, until I realized that none of them were moving - and thank goodness for that, really! But the effect was still more than a little unsettling, like something from Hitchcock or Joseph Beuys.
And it continued into another portion of the yard, just in case you missed the first part.

And of course, coming home meant a happy reunion with Bob the cat! One of my very best friends in the whole world. Thanks to my parents for taking such excellent care of him while I was gone! Here's a picture of him helping me make the bed, one of his favorite chores.

3 comments:

lara said...

Wow! These capture perfectly something about spring and enchantment. I can't believe those magnolia sculptures. The bunnies are the perfect setting for a fée music video.

Unknown said...

Yay Pittsburgh!

Linda and Bill said...

Your cat is adorable! The yard of bunnies is a little creepy. Imagine waking up as a child and seeing it.